VALUES STATEMENT FOR THE 5TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT
OF THE NC DEMOCRATIC PARTY
( Resolution adopted May 21st, 2016 )
The North Carolina State Constitution, Article 1, Section 2 states: “All political power is vested in and derived from the people; all government of right originates from the people, is founded upon their will only, and is instituted solely for the good of the whole.”
As members of the 5th Congressional District of the Democratic Party, we are committed to the idea that Government exists for the good of the whole, for the good of the people of this state.
We believe that all citizens have both individual rights and collective responsibilities. We believe that individual persons thrive best when we, collectively through representative government, protect the common good. We are grateful to prior generations that provided us with a strong and durable foundation that includes public education, infrastructure that allows for transportation and commerce, recreation, protection of our natural resources, and access to health care.
Therefore, Government exists to both protect and serve our common resources (including, but not limited to air, water and soil, our communities, our people and our future.)
We believe that the protection of persons includes:
• The Right to health care
• Excellent public education from pre-kindergarten on through our community college and university systems, that is
adequately funded, and that provides citizens the ability to care for themselves and their families
• Environmental protections of all natural resources for present and future generations
• Equality for all citizens and equal protections for their individual and common safety
• Economic security through the right to a livable wage, a place to call home, adequate nutrition, and strong communities
• The right to vote, an essential right of a free people.
We, the 5th Congressional District of the Democratic Party, believe that those elected to serve in our representative government should enact legislation and conduct public policy in accordance with these protections, thereby ensuring the “good of the whole.”